- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 10 fresh mushrooms
- 28 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, inlcude liquid
- 6 fluid ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon spicy italian seasoning
- 3 large bay leaves
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped small
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large frying pan, heat olive oil; add garlic, onions and saute’ until onions are transparent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add diced sweet red pepper, diced green pepper and saute’ for an additional 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large heavy bottom cooking pot.
Add diced carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes (including liquid), tomato paste, oregano, dried basil, fresh basil, spicy Italian seasoning, bay leaves, celery, red wine, sugar, salt and black pepper Bring sauce to boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce should be smooth when cooked.
Adjust seasonings to taste. Remove bay leaves and discard. Serve sauce over fresh pasta.